Friday, October 29, 2010

It's Halloween Time. Do something that scares you!

At the start of this past summer, I was given a book as a gift for participating on a women's panel organized by the Women's Network for a Sustainable Future here in Seattle.

I didn't think much of it from first glance except, "excellent, I'm glad *someone* has written this book." But as I started reading it, I began to feel uncomfortable, even worried about being seen reading it in public. I noticed myself hiding the cover while in a busy airport terminal. I didn't want anyone to see what I was reading.

That struck a chord with me. What was I afraid of?

To me, that fear revealed the existence of something much deeper at work. Reading this book in public meant that I was unapologetically supporting and standing for a somewhat rebellious idea;  that women are hands-down valuable and extraordinary, especially at work. (seems like a duh, but normally I would qualify a statement like this if I were speaking in conversation)

It has been well-documented that retaining and promoting female talent into top-level executive management has been a real challenge for American companies and corporations. Women comprise about 50% of the American workforce and yet, of all the chief executives in the top 500 us companies (in 2009), only 3% were women.

This gender imbalance has been explained primarily by "blaming the victim." Explanations for the disparity include things like:

The common message threading through this list is, "women, it's your fault there isn't gender parity." Companies openly recognize the importance of retaining female talent and express a commitment to do so, yet shockingly, 70% of businesses don't have a plan or strategy to follow through with their intentions! And when companies do implement a strategy, they usually focus on narrow solutions like flexible work schedules without addressing the broader system at play within their organizations.  

"The Female Vision," persuasively illustrates how a system that repeatedly underutilizes the unique talents of women is alienating more and more women as they reach the top. Helgesen & Johnson have written a well-researched book that offers a new perspective on why women leave when they break through the glass ceiling and reach the glass cliff. One phrase that came up over and over in their independent research was, "It just wasn't worth it." This sentence alone speaks to a much larger systemic culture issue that is not adequately captured by the current understanding of the lack of female executive leadership. In a brief summary, they discovered women often find it difficult to act on their unique skills and talents because companies are not structured in a way that values or allows for the expression of these traits. With frustration and personal defeat, women quietly exit the pathway to corporate leadership.  

Personally, I found this book to be affirming and energizing. Many of the stories are eerily recognizable and the research is clear. Yet, The Female Vision constructively offers compelling systemic solutions for organizations and businesses that want a refreshing approach to capitalizing on and developing their female talent.

Check it out, if you want to make waves in public! The first chapter is free for the Kindle!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Nina, I could really use some resources to "debunk" the women leaving the workforce to raise children myth. As a male ally this is an issue I have to face on a regular basis in PRIVATE MALE ONLY conversation and would love to be better prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina,
    This is something I have been thinking about a lot. Personally, it has been hard for me to feel respected in a business school However, I watch many of the women in my program have a different experience. They are able to demand respect. I am not saying that this is an easy thing for them to do, but I think there is something different in their approach than my own. They have learned to work with the system just as men have learned to work with the "glass escalator" approach. Men are shot up into high level positions when they may prefer to stay in a different job- for example, nursing. So that is my first point. The system is messed up and it affect both genders. i agree that things must change, but I am also intrigued with how adaptive (and functionally adaptive) people have been. I would love to hear your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment Per. As you point out, the current system also hurts men who don't want to be propelled up the "glass escalator."

    ReplyDelete